at what point in history do you think americans stopped having british accents
Actually, Americans still have the original British accent. We kept it over time and Britain didn’t. What we currently coin as a British accent developed in England during the 19th century among the upper class as a symbol of status. Historians often claim that Shakespeare sounds better in an American accent.
More specifically, Americans who emigrated from the British Isles and settled in geographically isolated communities, such as many Appalachian settlers. The lack of exposure and cross-contact with communities speaking in different accents led to a preservation of a “purer” form of the original accent than exists elsewhere, according to some linguists.
According to this school of thought, that means that once you’ve accounted for the development of regional jargon and inevitable linguistic change-over-time that occurs in any natural language, the often-maligned “mountain folk” accent of Appalachia may be the closest living remnant to 16th- or 17th-century English.
Puts things into perspective, doesn’t it?
On December 3rd 2012, Mercury , Venus and Saturn will align in the northeast over the pyramids in Giza. This particular alignment over the spacing of the pyramids is very rare. This won’t happen again for another 2,000 years.
Most astronomers will probably say this event is just a coincidence, but given the evidence of ancient Egypt’s impact in history, I keep an open mind. This could be a phenomena lost with an ancient civilization that seemed to have known a few things about the universe that we have yet to understand…
I’ve read this several times before researching on Heaven and Hell mythologies and have to say that, if there was a religion that I ever felt in tune with, it was this.
LaVeyan Satanism is not the typical dark-worshipper cult-type religion. ‘Satan’ in this case is not a god nor figure to be worshiped- ‘Satan’ is -us-. An acknowledgement of the carnality of humanity and embracing it as opposed to purging it in the belief of satisfying a greater good. Satanists do not regulate their lives by the rules of a God, but regulate on the Golden Rule (Not do unto others what you don’t want done unto yourself).
This Wikipedia entry would explain most of the basic information on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism
The Language Of The Fan
In the past, hand fans were used not only as cooling instruments, but also as convenient communication devices, mainly for transmitting more or less furtive love messages.
1) THE FAN PLACED NEAR THE HEART:”You have won my love.”
2) A CLOSED FAN TOUCHING THE RIGHT EYE: “When may I be allowed to see you?”
3) THE NUMBER OF STICKS SHOWN ANSWERED THE QUESTION: At what hour?”
4) THREATENING MOVEMENTS WITH A FAN CLOSED: Do not be so imprudent”
5) HALF-OPENED FAN PRESSED TO THE LIPS: “You may kiss me.”
6) HANDS CLASPED TOGETHER HOLDING AN OPEN FAN: “Forgive me.”
7) COVERING THE LEFT EAR WITH AN OPEN FAN: “Do not betray our secret.”
8) HIDING THE EYES BEHIND AN OPEN FAN: “I love you.”
9) SHUTTING A FULLY OPENED FAN SLOWLY: “I promise to marry you.”
10) DRAWING THE FAN ACROSS THE EYES: “I am sorry.”
11) TOUCHING THE FINGER TO THE TIP OF THE FAN: “I wish to speak with you.”
12) LETTING THE FAN REST ON THE RIGHT CHEEK: “Yes.”
13) LETTING THE FAN REST ON THE LEFT CHEEK: “No.”
14) OPENING AND CLOSING THE FAN SEVERAL TIMES: “You are cruel”
15) DROPPING THE FAN: “We will be friends.”
16) FANNING SLOWLY:”I am married.”
17) FANNING QUICKLY:”I am engaged.”
18) PUTTING THE FAN HANDLE TO THE LIPS: “Kiss me.”
19) OPENING A FAN WIDE: “Wait for me.”
20) PLACING THE FAN BEHIND THE HEAD: “Do not forget me”
21) PLACING THE FAN BEHIND THE HEAD WITH FINGER EXTENDED: “Goodbye.”
22) FAN IN RIGHT HAND IN FRONT OF FACE: Follow me.”
23) FAN IN LEFT HAND IN FRONT OF FACE: “I am desirous of your acquaintance.”
24) FAN HELD OVER LEFT EAR: “I wish to get rid of you.”
25) DRAWING THE FAN ACROSS THE FOREHEAD:”You have changed.”
26) TWIRLING THE FAN IN THE LEFT HAND: “We are being watched.”
27) TWIRLING THE FAN IN THE RIGHT HAND:”I love another.”
28) CARRYING THE OPEN FAN IN THE RIGHT HAND:”You are too willing.”
29) CARRYING THE OPEN FAN IN THE LEFT HAND: “Come and talk to me.”
30) DRAWING THE FAN THROUGH THE HAND: “I hate you!”
31) DRAWING THE FAN ACROSS THE CHEEK: “I love you!”
32) PRESENTING THE FAN SHUT: “Do you love me?”
usable for my XIXth century Monaco cosplay
33) hitting the closed fan against your own head: *facepalm*
(or so I heard)
I want someone to do this to me!
this is going in my reference folder